Who says that salads have to be bland? Enjoy the antioxidant properties of blueberries and protein from the chicken.
- 2 cups brown rice, uncooked
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup (6 oz.) fresh blueberries
- 2/3 cup chopped green onion
- 1/4 cup packed chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon orange zest, optional
- 1/3 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped roasted red pepper
- Cook rice as directed on package. It should make 6 cups cooked rice.
- Meanwhile, heat a pan of water to simmering. Add chicken and simmer until cooked, about 30 minutes. Drain, cool slightly, and chop into bite-size pieces.
- In a large bowl, combine rice, diced chicken and remaining ingredients. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired.
This recipe originally ran in the September 2005 edition of Capper’s Farmer.