This casserole may be assembled ahead and refrigerated for up to 12 hours before baking. Starting with basic ingredients such as sausage and eggs, you'll have a meal that your family will love, with time left over for you to enjoy the meal, too.
This recipe originally ran in the September 2005 edition of Heart of the Home.
- Heat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium-high heat, stirring frequently until thoroughly cooked and no longer pink.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine eggs, milk, mustard and salt; stir well. Distribute half of bread evenly in a buttered 9-by-13-by-2-inch baking dish. Sprinkle with half of pepper, half of cheese, half of sausage and half of each optional ingredient.
- Repeat layers using remaining bread, pepper, cheese, sausage and optional ingredients. Pour egg mixture evenly over casserole. Bake, uncovered, for 55 to 60 minutes, or until eggs are set. Tent with foil if top begins to brown too quickly.
More recipes from this issue:
- Triple Berry Oatmeal Scones
- Berry Brunch Strata
- Grilled Salmon with Blackberry-Mustard Glaze
- Blueberry Rice Chicken Salad
- Sausage Breakfast Pizza
- Maple Sausage Waffles with Cinnamon Apples
- Quick Breakfast Skillet
- Sausage Quiche