Everyone will enjoy the fresh, sweet taste of this Berry Brunch Strata. The antioxidants in strawberries are helpful in the fight against certain cancers, heart disease and the effects of aging.
This recipe originally ran in the September 2005 edition of Heart of the Home.
- 4 to 5 slices buttermilk or country-style bread, divided
- 1 cup part skim ricotta cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 cups (about 1 pound) fresh strawberries, halved and divided
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint, divided
- 2 cups milk
- 5 large eggs
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- Heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray or butter a 2-quart casserole dish.
- Fit 2 to 3 slices of bread into prepared dish, cutting them to fill any holes.
- Mix ricotta and cinnamon together. Dollop over bread layer without smoothing. Layer on half of berries and half of mint. Put another layer of bread on top, then remaining berries and mint.
- Whisk together milk, eggs, orange juice, brown sugar and salt. Pour over layers; let sit for 15 minutes (or overnight, covered in the refrigerator).
- Sprinkle almonds over the top; bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until puffy, golden and firm in the center. Remove strata from oven and let sit for 10 minutes before serving. Refrigerate leftovers.
More recipes from this issue:
- Triple Berry Oatmeal Scones
- Grilled Salmon with Blackberry-Mustard Glaze
- Blueberry Rice Chicken Salad
- Sausage Breakfast Pizza
- Breakfast Casserole
- Maple Sausage Waffles with Cinnamon Apples
- Quick Breakfast Skillet
- Sausage Quiche