- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 cups milk
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 cup raisins, soaked in water and drained
- Combine rice, water, and salt in a medium saucepan and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Add sugar and 2 cups milk and simmer, uncovered, over low heat, stirring occasionally to prevent scorching. Cook until rice is tender, about 20 minutes. Cool.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a 1 1/2 quart baking dish.
- Whisk the egg yolks with the vanilla and remaining 1 cup milk. Add raisins. Pour into baking dish, sprinkle with cinnamon, and bake, uncovered, until set at edges and creamy at center, about 20-25 minutes.
More from Simple Pleasures of the Home:
- Old-Fashioned Egg Cream
- Herbal Sleep Pillows
- Memory Plates
- Lemon Beeswax Polish
Adapted and reprinted with permission from Conari Press, an imprint of Red Wheel/Weiser, Simple Pleasures of the Home by Susannah Seton is available wherever books and ebooks are sold or directly from the publisher at www.redwheelweiser.com or 800-423-7087.