Simple Pleasures of the Home (Conari Press, 1999) by Susannah Seton is a collection of stories, recipes, crafts, and ideas for your home. This selection shares how to make a beeswax-based wood polish.
For those who love the glow of freshly polished wood furniture, here's a real treat-homemade furniture polish. Nothing beats the smell of lemon and beeswax!
- 2/3 cup boiling water
- 1 tablespoon liquid lemon dish detergent
- 2 ounces beeswax
- 1/2 ounce paraffin
- 1 1/4 cups turpentine
- 10 drops lemon essential oil
- wide-neck jar with lid
- Pour the boiling water into the dish detergent and allow to cool.
- In a double boiler, heat beeswax, paraffin, and turpentine over very low heat, taking care that mixture doesn't get hot enough to flare up.
- Whisk soap water into wax to form an emulsion. Add essential oil. Store in a wide-neck jar with a lid. Makes about 2 cups.
More from Simple Pleasures of the Home:
Adapted and reprinted with permission from Conari Press, an imprint of Red Wheel/Weiser, Simple Pleasures of the Home by Susannah Seton is available wherever books and ebooks are sold or directly from the publisher at www.redwheelweiser.com or 800-423-7087.