Pecan Chicken Sticks with Collard Couscous Recipe
1 / 2
Fill a plate with drumsticks, cous cous and collard greens, then top it off with pecans and your delicious is ready to eat.
Photo by GettyImages/Magrig
2 / 2
- 8 medium chicken drumsticks
- 5 tablespoons maple syrup, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 cup finely ground pecans
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon spicy Cajun-style chicken seasoning
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups frozen chopped collard greens, mostly thawed
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1-3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1-1/3 cups couscous
- 2/3 cup cooked, crumbled bacon bits
- 2 tablespoons grainy mustard
- 1/4 cup toasted pecan pieces
- Cut meat off bone on bottom 1/2 inch of drumsticks to form a small 'handle.' Brush chicken with 2 tablespoons maple syrup; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place ground pecans, flour and chicken seasoning in a large plastic bag. Add drumsticks; shake to coat.
- Place oil in a large heavy, ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add drumsticks and cook, turning to brown on all sides. Cover and place skillet in a 375°F. oven. Cook for 10 minutes; uncover, turn chicken and cook for another 10 minutes, or until chicken is done. Remove to a plate; keep warm.
- Add collards and onion to skillet; stir-fry for about 3 minutes over medium-high heat. In another pan, bring chicken broth to a boil. Stir in couscous; remove from heat. Cover and let stand for 7 minutes, then fluff with a fork. Stir couscous and bacon into collard mixture; cook for 3 minutes to heat through.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, mix together remaining maple syrup and mustard. Microwave on medium for 1 minute. To serve, place equal portions of couscous on each of 4 plates. Arrange 2 chicken drumsticks in the center of each and drizzle with maple-mustard mixture. Garnish with pecan pieces. This recipe originally aired in the July 2006 issue of Heart of the Home.
More from this issue:
- Chicken Paillards with Asian Salad Recipe
- Thai-Inspired Stuffed Chicken Breast and Slaw Recipe
- Zesty Ginger Beer BBQ Pulled Chicken Sandwiches Recipe
- Warm Chicken Black Bean Salad with Mango Mojo Dressing Recipe
More from Capper's Farmer: