Michelle Anderson's Thai-Inspired Stuffed Chicken Breast and Slaw was the winning dish at the 47th National Chicken Cooking Contest.
- 3/4 cup chunky peanut butter
- 1/4 cup seasoned rice vinegar
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 finely minced Thai chile
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup chopped basil
- 1 Napa cabbage, finely sliced
- 1 English cucumber, coarsely grated
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1/2 red onion, finely diced
- 1 cup cooked jasmine rice
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 2 green onions, finely sliced
- 1/2 cup finely chopped Thai basil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons Thai chili sauce
- 2 limes, juice and zest, divided
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 can (14 ounces) coconut milk
- 1 cup chopped roasted peanuts
- 3/4 cup panko
- 1/4 cup white sesame seeds, toasted
- 1/4 cup black sesame seeds, toasted
- 1/2 English cucumber, thinly sliced
- Lime wedges
- To make Thai-style Slaw: Mix peanut butter, rice vinegar, juice and chile. Add remaining ingredients; refrigerate.
- To make chicken: Combine rice, coconut, onion, basil, cilantro, chili sauce, 1 tablespoon lime juice and all of zest of 1 lime. Place chicken between 2 sheets of plastic wrap; pound to even thickness. Divide rice mixture between chicken; wrap chicken around filling; secure with wooden pick. Heat oven to 350°F.
- In a pie plate, mix flour, zest of 1 lime, salt and pepper. In another pie plate, mix coconut milk with 2 tablespoons lime juice. In a third pie plate, mix peanuts, panko and sesame seeds.
- Roll chicken in flour mixture, then coconut milk mixture, then peanut mixture, coating well. Place, seam side down, in a pan; bake for 30 minutes, or until juices run clear. Remove picks.
- Place slaw on a serving platter; add chicken. Garnish with cucumber, lime and cilantro.
This recipe originally aired in the July 2006 issue of Heart of the Home.
More from this issue:
- Chicken Paillards with Asian Salad Recipe
- Pecan Chicken Sticks with Collard Couscous Recipe
- Zesty Ginger Beer BBQ Pulled Chicken Sandwiches Recipe
- Warm Chicken Black Bean Salad with Mango Mojo Dressing Recipe