Second-place winner Sally Sibthorpe, of Shelby Township, Mich., took home $10,000 for this mouthwatering dish.
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 small hot red chile, stemmed and seeded
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 mango, peeled and cubed
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 cups chunked rotisserie chicken
- 1/2 cup sliced scallions
- 1/2 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup diced avocado
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 2 rings red bell pepper
- Sprig of cilantro
- To make Mango Mojo Dressing: In a skillet over medium-high heat, toast cumin seeds until fragrant, 2 minutes. In a food processor, grind cumin seeds, garlic, red chile and salt to a coarse paste. Add remaining ingredients. Put mixture in skillet and heat until warm.
- To prepare salad: Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add and sauté almonds until golden. Add rice; cook for 1 minute. Stir in chicken stock; cover and simmer for 20 minutes, until rice is tender. Add cilantro, chicken, scallions, beans, avocado and diced pepper.
- Drizzle chicken mixture with half of the Mango Mojo Dressing; toss gently. Spoon mixture onto a serving dish; garnish with pepper rings and cilantro. Pass remaining dressing at table.
This recipe originally aired in the July 2006 issue of Heart of the Home.
More from this issue:
- Chicken Paillards with Asian Salad Recipe
- Pecan Chicken Sticks with Collard Couscous Recipe
- Thai-Inspired Stuffed Chicken Breast and Slaw Recipe
- Zesty Ginger Beer BBQ Pulled Chicken Sandwiches Recipe