Quick Sourdough Starter Recipe
Photo by Getty Images/Sohadiszno.
Yields 1 portion.
- 1/2 cup warm water (105 to 115 F)
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 package (.25 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 3/4 cup water
- In a glass measuring cup, combine water and sugar. Stir in yeast, and let proof for 5 to 15 minutes, or until 1/2 inch of bubbly foam forms on top.
- In a large bowl, combine flours. Add proofed yeast mixture and water, and stir to combine.
- Cover bowl loosely, and let stand at room temperature for 2 days, or until liquid separates and floats on top. At this point, the starter is ready.
- Place the starter in a crock or other non-metal container with a loose-fitting cover, and store it in the refrigerator until needed.
Note: Once a week, stir 1/3 cup water and 1/2 cup flour into the starter. Let stand at room temperature for 4 hours. Stir, and return to refrigerator.
For more baking ideas, visit Sourdough Recipes.
A Meal for Any Occasion
Bring loved ones to the table with this delicious menu, which features tri-tip steak, cabbage grilled low and slow, and turtle brownies.
Yeast-Free Sourdough Starter Recipe
This simple sourdough starter, made without any yeast, is the foundation for delicious sourdough recipes.
Sourdough Rye Bread Recipe
This easy recipe combines yeast, rye flour, whole wheat flour, and sourdough starter to produce a savory rye bread.