The recipe serves 8, but you can take an extra piece—we won’t tell.
- 1-1/2 cups flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 5 tablespoons water
- 4 Granny Smith apples
- 3 Gala apples
- 2 cups pecan halves
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- For crust, mix together flour, salt, and sugar. Cut in shortening and butter. Mix in water, 1 tablespoon at a time, using a fork.
- Roll out dough, and line a pie plate. Set aside.
- For filling, peel, core, and slice apples into a large bowl. Add pecans, brown sugar, cinnamon, and flour, and mix to combine.
- Spoon filling mixture into crust-lined pie plate, creating a mound in the middle.
- For crumb topping, mix flour, sugar, and cinnamon in a bowl. Cut in butter until pea-size crumbs form.
- Sprinkle topping mixture over filling in pan.
- Bake pie in a smoker at 375 F for 40 to 45 minutes, or until crumb topping is golden brown.