Here's a zesty version of the traditional grilled chicken sandwich.
- 1/2 cup roasted red peppers
- 1-1/2 cups bottled pickled vegetables, drained
- 1/4 cup pitted Kalamata olives, drained
- 1/2 cup pimento-stuffed green olives, drained
- 1/2 cup artichoke hearts, drained
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 chicken breast halves, boneless and skinless
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 pieces French sourdough bread, about 6 inches each, sliced lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups Olive Spread
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- Combine all Olive Spread ingredients in a food processor. Chop by pulsing until consistency of cole slaw.
- Marinate for at least 30 minutes at room temperature.
- Prepare gas or charcoal grill, or preheat broiler. Place chicken breast halves between 2 pieces of waxed paper; pound gently to 1/4-inch thickness.
- Brush each side of chicken with vegetable oil; season with salt and pepper. Grill or broil for 2 to 3 minutes per side, until cooked throughout.
- Assemble sandwich by opening bread and drizzling each half with olive oil.
- Spread 1/2 cup Olive Spread on bottom of each sandwich; top with grilled chicken, 1 slice of Swiss cheese and 1 slice of provolone cheese.
More from this issue:
- Southwestern Chicken Breasts Recipe
- Lemon Artichoke Chicken Recipe
- Pepper Stuffed Chicken Breasts with Spinach Recipe