Sourdough Applesauce Cake Recipe
Sourdough Applesauce Cake. Photo by Getty Images/shininghope.
Yields 10 to 12 servings.
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 2 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups sourdough starter
- 1-1/2 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts, optional
- 1 cup raisins, optional
- Prepared icing, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease and flour two 9-by-5-by-3-inch loaf pans. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together shortening and 2 cups sugar with an electric mixer. Beat in eggs. Mix in sourdough starter, applesauce, cloves, cinnamon, and allspice. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together salt, baking soda, and remaining sugar. Add to sourdough mixture, and stir gently to combine. Add flour, and stir gently, just until smooth. Fold in nuts and raisins, if desired.
- Pour batter into prepared pans, and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 20 minutes before serving plain or drizzled with icing.
For more baking ideas, visit Sourdough Recipes.
Steak Fajitas Recipe
The steak for these fajitas can be marinated overnight and cooked the next day, making a quick supper. Serve them with beans and rice to round out the meal
White Chicken Chili Recipe
This chicken chili, made in a slow cooker, calls for cream cheese and half-and-half for delightful creaminess, and is guaranteed to warm the body and soul.
Turkey Meatballs Recipe
These meatballs, made with ground turkey, are cooked and then simmered in a cream sauce. Serve them over pasta, alongside green beans and garlic bread.