Sourdough Applesauce Cake. Photo by Getty Images/shininghope.
Yields 10 to 12 servings.
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 2 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups sourdough starter
- 1-1/2 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts, optional
- 1 cup raisins, optional
- Prepared icing, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease and flour two 9-by-5-by-3-inch loaf pans. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together shortening and 2 cups sugar with an electric mixer. Beat in eggs. Mix in sourdough starter, applesauce, cloves, cinnamon, and allspice. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together salt, baking soda, and remaining sugar. Add to sourdough mixture, and stir gently to combine. Add flour, and stir gently, just until smooth. Fold in nuts and raisins, if desired.
- Pour batter into prepared pans, and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 20 minutes before serving plain or drizzled with icing.
For more baking ideas, visit Sourdough Recipes.