Fresh Tomato Tart Recipe
1 / 2
The pastry is a little time consuming so be sure to allow for that.
Photo by GettyImages/margouillatphotos
2 / 2
- Prepared pie dough for one 9-inch pan
- 1 1/2 pounds fully ripened tomatoes, sliced thin
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- Press dough into a pie plate or a tart pan with a removable bottom; trim edge. Chill for 30 minutes.*
- Place tomato slices between several sheets of paper towels to absorb moisture; let stand for 20 minutes.
- Heat oven to 375°F. In a small bowl, combine, thyme, salt and pepper; set aside.
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, heat 2 teaspoons olive oil. Add onion; cook and stir until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Spread mustard on bottom of tart shell. Sprinkle 1 cup cheese and sautéed onion evenly over mustard. Top with half of tomato slices.
- Sprinkle with half of thyme mixture and remaining cheese.
- Cover with remaining tomato slices and sprinkle with remaining 1 teaspoon oil and remaining thyme mixture.
- Bake until pastry is golden brown, about 30 to 40 minutes. *For a crisper crust: Pierce bottom and sides of chilled dough. Bake, unfilled, at 425ºF until pale gold, about 10 minutes. Cool and fill.This recipe originally aired in the August 2006 issue of Heart of the Home:
More from this issue:
- Fresh Tomato Gratin Recipe
- Fresh Tomato Tart Recipe
- Salmon Tomato Pizza Recipe
- Spiced Fresh Tomato Bread Pudding Recipe
More Tomatoes, Tomatoes, Tomatoes: