For the ladies in your life who have a variety of rings to go with their fashionable wardrobes, this personalized jewelry box is sure to be a treasured gift. Paint the box in the recipient’s favorite color, and choose felt in a color that will complement it.
Tools & Materials:
- Fine sandpaper
- Plain box from a craft store
- Soft cloth
- Glue pen
- Thin leather cord
- Matte spray paint
- Tape measure
- Hot glue gun
- Sand the inside and outside of the box with fine sandpaper, and then wipe clean with a soft cloth.
- Write the recipient’s name on the box lid with a pencil.
- Trace over the first letter of the name with a glue pen, and immediately cover it with leather cord, cutting or connecting the cord to the next letter as you go. Continue this process until the entire name is covered with cord. Let dry for 30 minutes.
- Spray the entire box with paint, including the corded name, and allow it to dry for 30 minutes. Add a second layer of spray paint, and let it dry for an additional 30 minutes.
- Measure the inside width and depth of the box’s bottom, and cut a piece of felt 1 yard long and slightly narrower than the box.
- Fold the felt accordion-style. To do this, begin at one of the felt piece’s short ends, make a fold that’s slightly shorter than the depth of the box, then, with a glue gun, secure the fold with a thin line of hot glue on both sides of the short end, and then carefully fold the felt back the other way and glue it in place to complete one accordion fold. Repeat the process until the entire felt piece is folded.
- Insert the folded felt into the box, and use scissors to trim any excess material.
- Secure the felt to each inside corner of the box with hot glue. Let dry completely.
More Projects, Recipes, and Wrapping Ideas:
- Cutting Board Tablet Holder
- Gourmet Marshmallows Recipe
- Gift-wrap Ideas
- Homemade Gifts for the Holidays
Reprinted with permission from Country Living Christmas Joys: Decorating, Crafts & Recipes, © 2015 by Hearst Communications, Inc., an imprint of Sterling Publishing.