Zesty Ginger Beer BBQ Pulled Chicken Sandwiches Recipe
Sweet Potato Bacon Biscuits:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons brown suga
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup crisp, chopped bacon
- 3/4 cup cold sweet potato purée
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups ginger beer
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Chinese 5 Spice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 rotisserie cooked chicken, skin removed, meat shredded
To prepare Sweet Potato Bacon Biscuits:
- Heat oven to 425°F.
- Place oil, onion and sugar in a small skillet over medium heat. Reduce heat; cook for 10 minutes, or until onions are caramelized. Cool.
- Place flour, brown sugar, salt, baking powder and baking soda in a food processor; pulse to combine. Add butter and pulse until mixture is mealy.
- Place mealy mixture in a large bowl; fold in bacon and completely cooled onions. In a glass measuring cup, mix together sweet potato purée and buttermilk; stir into flour mixture. Form a soft dough; place on a floured surface and pat to 1-inch thickness. With a 2-inch cookie cutter, cut out biscuits. Place in a buttered skillet; bake for 25 minutes.
To prepare chicken:
- Place all ingredients except chicken in a saucepan. Simmer for 15 minutes on low heat. Add chicken; remove from heat.
- To serve, split biscuits in half. Place 1/2 cup chicken mixture on bottom halves of biscuits; cover with top halves. Editor's Note: Ginger beer is a carbonated drink like ginger ale, but with a stronger flavor obtained from fermented gingerThis recipe originally aired in the July 2006 issue of Heart of the Home.
More from this issue:
- Chicken Paillards with Asian Salad Recipe
- Pecan Chicken Sticks with Collard Couscous Recipe
- Thai-Inspired Stuffed Chicken Breast and Slaw Recipe
- Warm Chicken Black Bean Salad with Mango Mojo Dressing Recipe
More from Capper's Farmer: