This authentic-tasting dish has an enticing aroma.
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon hot red pepper sauce
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 package (8 oz.) 1/4-inch-wide rice noodles OR fettuccine
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 12 ounces fresh white mushrooms, sliced
- 4 ounces shiitake mushroom caps, sliced
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 1 pound shelled and deveined shrimp
- 8 ounces fresh OR canned bean sprouts, drained (about 2 cups)
- 6 scallions, cut in 1-inch pieces (about 2/3 cup)
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped OR whole salted peanuts
- In a large bowl, whisk soy sauce, brown sugar, lime juice, pepper sauce and water.
- Cook noodles according to package directions. Drain; add to soy sauce mixture; toss gently.
- In a very large skillet or 2 medium-size skillets, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat; add mushrooms and garlic.
- Cook and stir until the mushroom liquid evaporates, about 5 minutes. Add to seasoned noodles.
- Heat remaining oil in same skillet; add shrimp. Cook and stir until cooked through, about 2 minutes; stir in bean sprouts and scallions.
- Add mushroom-noodle mixture to skillet; taste and add more soy sauce if needed. Cook and stir just until hot, 30 to 45 seconds. Sprinkle with peanuts.
This recipe originally aired in the May 2005 issue of Heart of the Home.
More from this issue:
- Asian Chicken and Mushroom Wraps Recipes
- Asian Noodle Soup Recipe
- Thai Style Marinated Mushrooms Recipe