This delicious steak dish is sure to be a hit.
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 4 teaspoons garlic-pepper seasoning, divided
- 4 boneless beef top loin (strip) steaks, cut 1 inch thick (about 8 oz. each)
- 2 medium red onions, each cut into 12 wedges
- 2 medium yellow squash, cut lengthwise in half
- 2 medium zucchini, cut lengthwise in half
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano OR thyme
- In a small pan, bring vinegar to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 6 to 8 minutes, or until reduced by half. Set aside.
- Press 2 teaspoons garlic-pepper seasoning onto steaks.
- Soak four 10-inch bamboo skewers in water for 10 minutes; drain. Thread onion wedges onto skewers. Brush onions and cut sides of squash and zucchini with olive oil; sprinkle with remaining garlic-pepper seasoning.
- Place steaks in center of grid over medium, ash-covered coals; arrange vegetables around steaks. Grill steaks, uncovered, 15 to 18 minutes for medium-rare to medium doneness, turning occasionally. Grill squash and zucchini 8 to 12 minutes, and onions 12 to 15 minutes, or until tender, turning occasionally.
- Remove onions from skewers; toss half of the onions with 2 tablespoons of boiled vinegar, oregano and salt, as desired. Carve 2 steaks into slices. Serve with onion mixture and half of the squash and zucchini; season with salt, as desired. Yields 4 servings.
- Cover and refrigerate leftover steaks, onions, squash, zucchini and boiled vinegar.
Editor's note: To prepare on a gas grill, preheat grill according to manufacturer's directions for medium heat. Grill steaks, covered, 11 to 15 minutes for medium-rare to medium doneness, turning occasionally. Grill squash and zucchini, covered, 7 to 11 minutes, and onions, covered, 13 to 16 minutes.
This recipe originally aired in the June 2007 issue of Heart of the Home.
More from this issue:
- Grilled Beef & Onion Salad Recipe
- Grilled Onion Cheeseburgers Recipe
- 'Meatballs' & Pasta with Grilled Onions Recipe