Bruschetta takes a sweet turn in an easy version that starts with refrigerated bread dough.
- 1 can (11 oz.) refrigerated crusty French loaf dough
- Butter-flavor cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 package (8 oz.) reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1 to 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons powdered sugar, divided
- 1 bag (10 oz.) frozen blackberries, thawed, well-drained
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds, toasted, coarsely chopped*
- Heat oven to 350°F. Bake French loaf as directed on can. Cool for 5 minutes.
- Cut ends off loaf; cut loaf crosswise into 24 slices, about 1/2 inch thick. Arrange slices on an ungreased cookie sheet. Spray each slice with cooking spray until lightly coated; sprinkle with granulated sugar. Return to oven; bake for 8 to 10 minutes longer, or until lightly toasted.
- In a small bowl, beat cream cheese, almond extract and 1/4 cup powdered sugar with an electric mixer on low speed until well-combined.
- Spread cream cheese mixture evenly onto bread slices. Top each with 3 or 4 blackberries; sprinkle with almonds. With a small strainer, sprinkle remaining powdered sugar over bruschetta.
This recipe originally aired in the May 2006 issue of Heart of the Home.
More from this issue:
- Baked Chicken and Spinach Stuffing Recipe
- Choco-Peanut Butter Cups Recipe
- Cuban-Style Sandwiches with Green Chile Au Jus Recipe
- Peanut Butter Truffle Tart Recipe
- Pineapple Black Bean Enchiladas Recipe
- Rise 'n Shine Lattice Pizza Recipe