Online voters chose this sassy dish, created by Mary Iovinelli Bueshcer, of Bloomington, Mich., as 'America's Favorite Recipe.'
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 can (20 oz.) pineapple tidbits in juice, drained, 1/3 cup juice reserved
- 1 can (15 oz.) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (4.5 oz.) chopped green chiles
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup plus 8 teaspoons chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- 3 cups shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese (12 oz.), divided
- 1 can (10 oz.) mild enchilada sauce
- 8 whole wheat flour tortillas (8- OR 9-inch)
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream, divided
- Heat oven to 350°F. Spray a 13-by-9-inch (3-quart) glass baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a 12-inch nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and bell pepper; cook for 4 to 5 minutes, or until softened. Stir in pineapple, beans, green chiles and salt. Cook and stir until thoroughly heated. Remove skillet from heat. Stir in 1/2 cup cilantro and 2 cups cheese.
- Spoon and spread 1 tablespoon enchilada sauce onto each tortilla. Spoon about 3/4 cup vegetable mixture over sauce on each. Roll up tortillas; place seam side down in baking dish.
- In a small bowl, mix reserved pineapple juice and remaining enchilada sauce; pour over enchiladas. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Spray a sheet of foil large enough to cover baking dish with cooking spray; place sprayed side down over baking dish and seal tightly.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, removing foil during last 5 to 10 minutes of baking, until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbly. Top each baked enchilada with 1 tablespoon sour cream and 1 teaspoon cilantro.
This recipe originally aired in the May 2006 issue of Heart of the Home.
More from this issue:
- Baked Chicken and Spinach Stuffing Recipe
- Blackberry-Almond Bruschetta Recipe
- Choco-Peanut Butter Cups Recipe
- Cuban-Style Sandwiches with Green Chile Au Jus Recipe
- Peanut Butter Truffle Tart Recipe
- Pineapple Black Bean Enchiladas Recipe
- Rise 'n Shine Lattice Pizza Recipe