This flavor-packed sandwich is made even better by dipping it into a delicious green chile au jus.
- 1 package (17 oz.) refrigerated fully cooked pork roast au jus
- 1 can (13.2 oz.) refrigerated country Italian loaf dough
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons prepared minced garlic in water
- 1/4 pound thinly sliced cooked honey ham
- 4 slices (1 oz. each) pepper Jack cheese
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 can (4.5 oz.) chopped green chiles
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Spray a cookie sheet or 15-by-10-by-1-inch pan with cooking spray. Drain juice from pork roast into a blender; set aside. Shred or chop pork into bite-size pieces; set aside.
- Unroll dough into 1 large (about 14-by-9-inch) rectangle. With kitchen scissors or a sharp knife, cut dough crosswise, making 2 (9-by-7-inch) rectangles. Sprinkle each dough rectangle with 1/2 teaspoon cumin and 1 teaspoon garlic. Place half of the ham and half of the cheese in a 3-inch-wide strip lengthwise down center of each dough rectangle. Divide pork evenly over cheese.
- Bring long sides of dough up over filling to meet in center; pinch seam to seal. Pinch ends to seal. With a pancake turner, place seam side down on prepared pan. Cut 3 diagonal slashes in the top of each sandwich.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from cookie sheet; place on a wire rack. Cool for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, pour broth and undrained green chiles into blender with juice from pork; blend on medium-high speed for 15 to 30 seconds, or until smooth. Pour juice mixture into a 2-cup microwavable measuring cup.
- To serve, microwave juice mixture on High for 2 to 3 minutes, or until hot; divide mixture into 4 (6- or 8-oz.) ramekins or cups. Cut each sandwich diagonally in half. Serve sandwiches with juice mixture for dipping. Yields 4 servings (1/2 sandwich and 1/2 cup juice each).
This recipe originally aired in the May 2006 issue of Heart of the Home.
More from this issue:
- Baked Chicken and Spinach Stuffing Recipe
- Blackberry-Almond Bruschetta Recipe
- Choco-Peanut Butter Cups Recipe
- Peanut Butter Truffle Tart Recipe
- Pineapple Black Bean Enchiladas Recipe
- Rise 'n Shine Lattice Pizza Recipe