Baked Chicken and Spinach Stuffing, made by Anna Ginsberg, of Austin, Texas, took home $1 million at the recent Pillsbury Bake-Off. The innovative dish includes waffles as the main stuffing ingredient.
- 9 frozen homestyle waffle sticks with 3 syrup cups (from 1 lb. 1.3 oz box)
- 2 tablespoons peach preserves
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 bone-in skin-on chicken breasts (1 lb.)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter OR margarine
- 1/2 cup chopped onion (1 medium)
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh sage
- 1-1/2 cups frozen cut leaf spinach (from 1 lb. bag), thawed, squeezed to drain well
- 1 tablespoon beaten egg white
- 1 tablespoon chopped pecans
- Heat oven to 350°F. Spray a 9-inch glass pie plate or 8-inch square pan with cooking spray. In a small bowl, mix contents of syrup cups from waffles, the preserves and Worcestershire sauce. Place chicken, skin side up, in pie plate; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Spoon syrup mixture over chicken. Bake, uncovered, for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toast waffle sticks as directed on box. Cool slightly, about 2 minutes. Cut waffles into 3/4-inch cubes; set aside. Spray a 1-quart casserole dish with cooking spray (or use 9-by-5-inch nonstick loaf pan; do not spray). In a 10-inch nonstick skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir for 2 minutes, or until tender. Stir in waffle pieces and broth, breaking up and moistening waffle pieces. Sprinkle with poultry seasoning and sage. Remove from heat; stir in spinach. Cool about 5 minutes. Stir in egg white and pecans.
- Spoon stuffing into prepared dish; place in oven with chicken. Bake, uncovered, for 15 to 25 minutes, or until juice of chicken is clear when thickest part is cut to bone (170°F) and stuffing is thoroughly heated. Serve chicken with stuffing, spooning remaining sauce in pan over chicken.
This recipe originally aired in the May 2006 issue of Heart of the Home.
More from this issue:
- Blackberry-Almond Bruschetta Recipe
- Choco-Peanut Butter Cups Recipe
- Cuban-Style Sandwiches with Green Chile Au Jus Recipe
- Peanut Butter Truffle Tart Recipe
- Pineapple Black Bean Enchiladas Recipe
- Rise 'n Shine Lattice Pizza Recipe