Try it for your next gathering!
- 1 deep-dish pie crust (12-oz. package), frozen
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, divided
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla, divided
- 5 cups peeled, sliced tart green apples (about 5 medium)
- 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- Unwrap pie crust from packaging and set aside.
- Place a cookie sheet in the oven and heat oven to 400°F.
- In a 1-quart saucepan, cook 1/4 cup butter over medium heat until melted and lightly browned, stirring constantly. (Keep remaining butter cool in the refrigerator.) Cool melted butter completely, about 15 minutes.
- In a large bowl, beat 1/2 cup granulated sugar and egg with a wire whisk until light and fluffy. Beat in 2 tablespoons flour and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Beat in melted butter. Gently stir in apples. Pour into frozen pie crust.
- In a medium bowl, stir together remaining flour, remaining sugar, brown sugar and 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon. With a pastry blender or a fork, cut in remaining butter (from refrigerator) until mixture looks like coarse crumbs. Sprinkle mixture over apples in pie crust.
- Place pie on preheated cookie sheet and bake for 20 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F.; cover edges of pie crust with strips of foil to prevent excessive browning, and bake for an additional 40 to 50 minutes, or until apples are tender and crust is golden brown. Cool for 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, beat whipping cream until soft peaks form. Add powdered sugar, remaining cinnamon and remaining vanilla; beat until stiff peaks form. Pipe or spoon mixture onto cooled pie.
High Altitude (3,500 to 6,500 feet): Increase second baking time (at 350°F.) to 50 to 55 minutes.
This recipe originally aired in the January 2008 issue.
More from this issue:
- Deviled Crab and Cheese Biscuit Cup Recipe
- Garlic, Cheese and Tomato Bread Bite Recipe