Pears and almonds team up with cherries for a delightful treat.
- 1 jar (10 oz.) (or 24) maraschino cherries with stems
- 1 can (15.25 oz.) pears in heavy syrup
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup butter OR margarine, melted
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
- Granulated sugar
- Sliced almonds for garnish, optional
- Drain maraschino cherries. Pat dry with paper towels to remove excess moisture. Set aside.
- Drain pears and chop fine. Put chopped pears on paper towels to remove excess moisture. Set aside.
- Combine 3/4 cup sugar, butter, egg and almond extract in a mixing bowl; beat with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Stir in flour; mix well. Fold in pears and 1/3 cup almonds. Spoon about 1 tablespoon batter into 24 paper-lined miniature muffin cups.
- Sprinkle with sugar. Place a maraschino cherry on top of each muffin.
- Bake at 375°F. for 25 to 27 minutes, or until light golden brown on the edges. Let cool for 5 minutes in pans.
- Remove to wire racks to cool completely. Garnish each with a sliced almond, if desired. Store in a single layer in an airtight container.
This recipe originally aired in the February 2007 issue of Heart of the Home.
More from this issue:
- Black Forest Cheesecake Recipe
- Cherry Crowned Gems Recipe
- Holiday Cherry Pie Recipe
- Cherry Rugelach Recipe