These cookies have a sweet cherry filling in a rich cream cheese pastry.
- 1 cup butter OR margarine, softened
- 1/3 cup (1/3 of an 8 oz. package) cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 package (16 oz.) frozen sweet cherries (about 1 3/4 cups)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Egg Wash (1 egg whisked with 2 tablespoons cold milk OR water)
- Additional sugar
To make pastry:
- Beat butter and cream cheese with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Add flour and sugar; beat on low speed until crumbly.
- Turn mixture onto a floured board; knead until dough forms.
- Cover and set aside while preparing filling.
To make filling:
- Coarsely chop frozen cherries. Combine sugar and cornstarch; mix well.
- Combine chopped cherries and sugar mixture in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes, or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat; stir in walnuts. Let cool in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll one-third of dough into a 10-inch circle.
- Spread dough with about 1/2 cup cherry filling, leaving a 1/2-inch border.
- Cut circle into 8 wedge-shape pieces.
- Roll up dough, beginning at wide end of each wedge.
- Place cookies, tip side down, about 2 inches apart on lightly greased cookie sheet.
- Repeat with remaining dough and filling. Brush each cookie lightly with egg wash and sprinkle with granulated sugar.
- Bake at 350°F. for 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden brown. Transfer to wire racks to cool.
This recipe originally aired in the February 2007 issue of Heart of the Home.
More from this issue:
- Black Forest Cheesecake Recipe
- Cherry Crowned Gems Recipe
- Holiday Cherry Pie Recipe
- Cherry Rugelach Recipe