Panzanella Salad Sandwiches Recipe
1 / 2
Toss the salad just before serving time to prevent the lettuce from wilting.
Photo by GettyImages/Train_Arrival
2 / 2
- 1 pound fully ripened tomatoes, coarsely chopped (about 3 cups)
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- 1/3 cup Italian salad dressing
- 4 hard round (Kaiser) rolls
- 3 cups chopped iceberg lettuce
- 4 slices bacon, cooked until crisp, crumbled
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- In a large bowl, toss tomatoes with onions and salad dressing; set aside.
- Slice off the top of each roll; remove some of the crumbs from center of rolls; cut into small cubes (about 3 cups).
- Place bread cubes and rolls on a baking sheet; bake, turning cubes occasionally, until lightly toasted, about 5 minutes.
- To bowl with the tomatoes, add bread cubes, lettuce and bacon; toss. Divide salad among bread shells; serve immediately. This recipe originally aired in the May 2005 issue of Heart of the Home.
More from this issue:
- Antipasto Chef Salad Recipe
- Sun and Sea Chef Salad Recipe
- Tomato Cobb Salad Wrap Recipe
- Tomato, Shrimp and Couscous Salad Recipe
More from Capper's Farmer: