Mix up the cilantro-chili pesto for the bottom layer and the avocado-tomato mixture for the top for an extra flavorful pork taco.
- 1 package (17 oz.) refrigerated fully cooked pork roast au jus
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 medium tomato, chopped (about ¾ cup)
- 1 medium avocado, pitted, peeled and chopped (about ¾ cup)
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups lightly packed fresh cilantro sprigs
- 3/4 cup Spanish peanuts
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic
- 1 jalapeño chile, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup pure olive oil
- 1 box (10 count) taco shells
- 1 package shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Lime and orange wedges, optional
- Fresh cilantro sprigs, optional
- Heat oven to 325°F.
- In a medium microwavable bowl, shred pork roast; discard juice. Combine orange juice and cumin; add pork and toss well. Set aside.
- In another medium bowl, combine tomato, avocado, lime juice, sugar and salt; set aside.
- Place cilantro sprigs, peanuts, garlic, jalapeño chile and oil in a food processor bowl with a metal blade. Cover and process for about 30 seconds, or until pesto is well-blended; set aside.
- Heat taco shells in oven as directed on box. Meanwhile, cover the bowl of pork mixture with a paper towel. Microwave on high for 2 to 3 minutes, or until warm.
- To serve, spread about 1 tablespoon pesto over one side of each taco shell. Fill each with about 1/4 cup warm pork mixture, 1 tablespoon avocado mixture and 1 heaping tablespoon cheese. Garnish with lime wedges, orange wedges and additional fresh cilantro sprigs, if desired, before serving.
This recipe originally aired in the June 2008 issue of Heart of the Home.
More from this issue:
- Apple-Jack Chicken Pizza with Caramelized Onions Recipe
- Double-Delight Peanut Butter Cookies Recipe
- Blue Cheese and Red Onion Jam Crescent Thumbprints Recipe
- Mascarpone-Filled Cranberry-Walnut Rolls Recipe
- Mexican Pesto-Pork Tacos Recipe
- Salmon Pastries with Dill Pesto Recipe
- Toffee-Banana Brownies Recipe