The pastries can be prepped and baked in about 30 minutes and are ready to be served to guests.
- 1/2 cup lightly packed chopped fresh dill weed
- 1/3 cup light olive oil
- 1/4cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- Salt, optional
- Pepper, optional
- 3/4 pound salmon fillet, thawed, if frozen
- 1 package (15 oz.) refrigerated pie crusts, thawed according to directions on box
- Dill weed sprigs, optional
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Place chopped dill weed, oil, walnuts, lime juice, garlic, mustard, 1/2 cup cheese, salt and pepper in a food processor bowl with a metal blade, or in a blender. Cover and process, stopping once to scrape side of the bowl, until smooth. Set Dill Pesto aside.
- If the salmon has skin or bones, remove and discard them; rinse the fillet and pat dry with a paper towel. Cut salmon into 24 (1-inch) cubes; set aside.
- On a cutting board, roll out 1 pie crust into a 12-inch round. Cut into 4 rows by 3 rows to make 12 (4-by-3-inch) rectangles. Repeat with remaining crust. (Rectangles cut at the edge of the crust will have a rounded side.)
- Spoon 1 teaspoon Dill Pesto onto center of each rectangle; top with 1 cube of salmon. Bring 4 corners of each rectangle over the filling to the center and pinch at the top; pinch corners, leaving small openings on the sides to vent steam. (For rectangles with a rounded side, bring 3 points together at the top, pinching to seal.) Place pastries 1 inch apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Place remaining Dill Pesto in a small resealable plastic bag. Cut a small tip off a bottom corner of the bag; squeeze bag to drizzle pesto over a serving plate. Place pastries on the serving plate and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Garnish with dill weed sprigs, if desired, before serving.
This recipe originally aired in the June 2008 issue of Heart of the Home.
More from this issue:
- Apple-Jack Chicken Pizza with Caramelized Onions Recipe
- Double-Delight Peanut Butter Cookies Recipe
- Blue Cheese and Red Onion Jam Crescent Thumbprints Recipe
- Mascarpone-Filled Cranberry-Walnut Rolls Recipe
- Mexican Pesto-Pork Tacos Recipe
- Salmon Pastries with Dill Pesto Recipe
- Toffee-Banana Brownies Recipe