Your guests will be impressed with this decadent dessert.
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 3 tablespoons instant coffee granules
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 can (5 oz.) evaporated fat-free milk
- 4 large egg whites
- Pinch of salt
- Powdered sugar
- Heat oven to 375°F. Spray eight 6-ounce custard cups with nonstick cooking spray; sprinkle evenly with 2 tablespoons granulated sugar.
- Combine cocoa, water and coffee granules in a medium bowl; stir until smooth.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir in flour; cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Stir in evaporated milk and 1/2 cup granulated sugar. Cook, whisking frequently, for 2 to 3 minutes, or until mixture is slightly thickened. Remove from heat. Add to cocoa mixture; stir until smooth.
- Beat egg whites and salt in a small mixer bowl until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining granulated sugar until stiff peaks form. Fold 1/4 of egg whites into chocolate mixture to lighten. Fold in remaining egg whites gently but thoroughly. Pour mixture into prepared cups, filling 3/4 full. Place on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out moist but not wet. Sprinkle with powdered sugar. Serve immediately.
This recipe originally aired in the October 2005 issue of Heart of the Home.
More from this issue:
- Apple-Cranberry Cobbler Recipe
- Chicken Biscuit Puffs Recipe
- Individual Chicken Pot Pies Recipe
- Meatball Bubble Biscuits Recipe
- Pork Tenderloin with Creamy Mustard Sauce Recipe
- Taco Biscuit Casserole Recipe
- Shrimp and Corn Chowder Recipe