This recipe is from Heart of the Home, December 2005.
- 3/4 cup butter, slightly softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup finely chopped nuts
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
- 1 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons milk
- 1/4 teaspoon imitation rum extract
- In a large bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds, or until smooth. Add sugar, eggs and vanilla extract; beat until well-blended. Gradually beat in flour, baking powder and nutmeg, scraping side of bowl occasionally. Stir in nuts. If needed, refrigerate for 30 minutes, or until dough is easy to handle.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Place about 1 inch apart on baking sheets. (Refrigerate remainder of dough while baking each batch of cookies.)
- Bake at 375°F. for 10 minutes, or until edges are lightly browned. Remove from baking sheets. Cool completely on wire racks.
- In a small bowl, beat butter until softened. Gradually add powdered sugar; beat until fluffy. Beat in milk and imitation rum extract until well-blended. Frost center of each cookie with about 1 teaspoon frosting. Sprinkle with additional nutmeg, if desired.
More from this issue:
- Cinnamon-Caramel Swirl Bars Recipe
- Festive Chocolate Chip Gingerbread Recipe
- Gingerbread People Recipe
- Luscious Layer Bars Recipe
- Raspberry Jam Strips Recipe
- Snickerdoodles Recipe