Apple-Jack Chicken Pizza with Caramelized Onions Recipe
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 large sweet onions, such as Maui or Walla Walla, very thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of pepper
- 1 can (13.8 oz.) refrigerated classic pizza crust
- 1 sweet apple, unpeeled, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- 1/3 cup cooked real bacon bits (from 3-oz. package)
- 2 medium green onions, sliced
- 1 package (6 oz.) shredded pepper Jack cheese
- 1 package (6 oz.) shredded cheddar cheese
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a 12-inch skillet over medium heat. Add onions and thyme; cook for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until soft and golden. Stir in salt and pepper. Remove onion mixture from skillet; set aside.
- Heat oven to 425°F. Spray a large cookie sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Unroll pizza crust on cookie sheet; press dough into a 14-by-10-inch rectangle. Bake for 7 to 11 minutes, or until light golden brown. Reduce oven temperature to 375°F.
- Meanwhile, in the same skillet, melt remaining butter over medium heat. Add apple slices and sugar; cook for 4 to 6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until sugar is melted and apple slices are slightly soft. Set aside.
- Spread onion mixture over the partially baked crust. Top evenly with layers of chicken, apple mixture, bacon bits, green onions and cheeses.
- Bake for 10 to 20 minutes longer, or until cheeses are melted and crust is golden brown.This recipe originally aired in the June 2008 issue of Heart of the Home.
More from this issue:
- Double-Delight Peanut Butter Cookies Recipe
- Blue Cheese and Red Onion Jam Crescent Thumbprints Recipe
- Mascarpone-Filled Cranberry-Walnut Rolls Recipe
- Mexican Pesto-Pork Tacos Recipe
- Salmon Pastries with Dill Pesto Recipe
- Toffee-Banana Brownies Recipe