Festive Chocolate Chip Gingerbread Recipe
1 / 2
This bread works great for a quick breakfast and can be made ahead of time, thrown into the freezer and pulled out to thaw when you are ready for it. Works great for busy mornings!
Photo by GettyImages/StephaneHachey
2 / 2
- 2-1/2 cups flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Vanilla Butter Glaze (recipe follows)
Vanilla Butter Glaze:
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2-1/4 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, cocoa, baking powder, ginger, baking soda and cinnamon.
- In a large bowl, beat butter, sugar and molasses.
- Mix in egg. Add flour mixture alternately with water, stirring just until blended.
- Stir in chips. Pour into a 10-cup fluted tube pan that has been sprayed with nonstick baking spray and sprinkled with flour.
- Bake at 350°F. for 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 15 minutes. Invert cake onto a wire rack. Cool completely. Vanilla Butter Glaze:In a medium bowl, mix all ingredients until well-blended and smooth. Let stand for 5 minutes. Spoon over completely cooled cake. Let stand until set.
More from this issue:
- Cinnamon-Caramel Swirl Bars Recipe
- Eggnog Delights Recipe
- Gingerbread People Recipe
- Luscious Layer Bars Recipe
- Raspberry Jam Strips Recipe
- Snickerdoodles Recipe
Other Bread Recipes: