Confetti Cornbread Recipe
1 / 2
Use jalapeno peppers for a spicy alternative or bake in a muffin pan and measure out individual servings.
Photo by GettyImages/juliedeshaies
2 / 2
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 2 red, green OR yellow bell peppers, diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2-pound bag (or 2 cups) frozen corn
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups cornmeal, preferably stone-ground
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 6 eggs
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9-by-13-inch baking pan.
- In a large skillet, fry onions and peppers in butter until crisp-tender. Remove from heat, stir in corn and set skillet aside.
- In a large bowl combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and salt.
- Lightly beat together melted butter, buttermilk and eggs. Pour into flour mixture and whisk together until just combined. Fold in vegetables.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 45 minutes, or until cornbread is set in center. These recipes are from the January 2006 issue of Heart of the Home.
Recipes from this issue:
- White Chocolate Glaze with Toasted Coconut and Pecans Recipe
- Veggie Slaw Recipe
- Vegetarian Chili Recipe
- Quick Raspberry Sauce Recipe
- Quick Mixed Berry Sauce Recipe
- Mixed Fruit Salsa Recipe
- Magic Lemon Pie Recipe
- Coconut Macaroons Recipe
- Cincinnati-Style Turkey Chili Recipe
- Celebration Lime Cheesecake Bars Recipe
Serve with cornbread: