Bright bell peppers add spots of color to this warm, soft cornbread.
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 2 red, green OR yellow bell peppers, diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2-pound bag (or 2 cups) frozen corn
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups cornmeal, preferably stone-ground
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 6 eggs
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9-by-13-inch baking pan.
- In a large skillet, fry onions and peppers in butter until crisp-tender. Remove from heat, stir in corn and set skillet aside.
- In a large bowl combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and salt.
- Lightly beat together melted butter, buttermilk and eggs. Pour into flour mixture and whisk together until just combined. Fold in vegetables.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 45 minutes, or until cornbread is set in center.
Recipes from this issue:
- White Chocolate Glaze with Toasted Coconut and Pecans Recipe
- Veggie Slaw Recipe
- Vegetarian Chili Recipe
- Quick Raspberry Sauce Recipe
- Quick Mixed Berry Sauce Recipe
- Mixed Fruit Salsa Recipe
- Magic Lemon Pie Recipe
- Coconut Macaroons Recipe
- Cincinnati-Style Turkey Chili Recipe
- Celebration Lime Cheesecake Bars Recipe