This recipe originally aired in the November 2005 issue of Heart of the Home.
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 2 large onions, peeled and sliced thin
- 2-1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced thin
- 2 cups (8 oz.) shredded smoked cheddar cheese, divided
- Salt, pepper and nutmeg, to taste
- 1-1/2 cups apple cider
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- Brush 1 tablespoon oil over the bottom and sides of a 13-by-9-inch glass baking dish. Set aside.
- Heat remaining oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions; sauté until quite soft, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat.
- To make gratin, alternate layers of onion, sweet potatoes and cheese in prepared baking dish. Sprinkle each layer lightly with salt, pepper and nutmeg, reserving 2/3 cup cheese. Pour cider over all.
- Cover tightly; bake for 30 minutes to 1 hour, or until potatoes are almost tender. Remove cover and bake for 15 additional minutes. Sprinkle remaining cheese evenly over all; bake for 15 minutes, or until cheese has melted.
More from Heart of the Home:
- Apple Mince Pie Recipe
- Friendship Fudge Recipe
- Perfect Pumpkin Pie Recipe
- Prize Cookies Recipe
- Quick and Easy Pumpkin Cake Recipe
- Turkey with Apricot-Chestnut Stuffing Recipe
- Almond Praline Cheesecake Recipe